Finance your study

Scholarships and financial support

There are different ways to finance your studies depending upon whether you come from the EU/EEA and Switzerland or outside the region.

Financial support for EU/EEA students

If you’re from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland there are three different options:

  • You can apply for a loan from the Dutch government to help pay for your tuition fees.
  • You may be able to take out a loan to help pay towards your living costs (special conditions apply).
  • You may be eligible to for a ‘supplementary grant’ which you might not need to repay.

Check out the DUO website to find out more.

Scholarships for non EU/EEA students

Get the most up-to-date info on financing your study and top tips about scholarships if you’re from outside the EU/EEA.

Holland Scholarship

Do you come from outside the EEA (EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland and want to do your bachelor degree at THUAS? You can apply for the €5,000 Holland Scholarship financed by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science and Dutch universities.

Read the scholarship rules & regulations here.

You are eligible for the Holland Scholarship if you:
  • come from outside the EEA or Switzerland
  • are applying for a full-time bachelor degree
  • have never studied at an education institution in the Netherlands
  • are enrolling at THUAS for the first time
  • have never applied for this scholarship before
  • Apply for your chosen bachelor programme
  • Application form Holland Scholarship
  • Write an essay (in English) on the issue of ‘global citizenship’ and how you’ll apply your specific cultural background to our intercultural environment
  • Submit the application form before the deadline of 1 May 2019.
  • Please read our assessment procedure and essay guidelines before you start writing
Our committee of judges will select the students whose essays will have impressed them most to receive the scholarship. You’ll get your results by email.

You’ll only be awarded the scholarship once you’ve been conditionally accepted and have met the terms of enrolment. You’ll receive the €5,000 scholarship when you’ve arrived in The Hague and set up a Dutch bank account. 

Please note that we may publish your essay. We’ll also expect you to contribute to evaluations and internationalisation at THUAS.

Email for more info.

World Citizen Talent Scholarship

The World Citizen Talent Scholarship is a €2,500 scholarship awarded to the top 10 Holland Scholarship students for the rest of their bachelor study programme, if they meet the yearly study progress requirements.

Ten scholarships are available for the 2019-2020 academic year for those who received a Holland
Scholarship for 2018-2019. They’ll be awarded to students who’ve gained the highest grade point average (GPA) and completed the foundation (propedeuse) stage during year one. Students must earn at least 55 credits in the second and third years to get the scholarship in the third and fourth years.

Orange Tulip Scholarship

The Orange Tulip Scholarship (OTS) is part of the Holland Scholarship and is offered by Dutch higher education institutions, multinationals and government organisations for talented students. The OTS is available in Brazil, China, Indonesia, Korea, Mexico, Russia, Thailand and Vietnam. It’s managed by the Nuffic Neso offices in the following participating countries:

To apply you’ll need to fill in the Holland Scholarship application form and attach your essay. You’ll receive a Holland Scholarship certificate if you get an OTS scholarship.

Scholarships from your home country

It’s worth checking out if any scholarships are available in your home country. A good starting point is your Dutch embassy or your present college or university.

For example, American students can apply for a Fulbright Center scholarship. Your country may offer similar grants.

Search for all the scholarships available to study in the Netherlands.

This Scholarship Portal is an online platform with everything you need to know about study scholarships in Europe.

Its database lists over 700 different scholarships and grants averaging €15.6 billion in yearly funding.


Part-time jobs 

Some international students may opt for a part-time job during their studies at THUAS. You are not required to speak Dutch, although it is considered to be a good asset when finding employment.

For EU/EEA nationals 

If you are from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, a work permit is not required and there is no restriction on the amount of work hours. You will even have the option to apply for study financing from the Dutch government if you work a minimum of 56 hours per month. More information on study fin can be found on the DUO website

For non-EU/EEA nationals

As a non-EU/EEA student with a residence permit for you also have the possibility to work part-time. Be advised that you can only work a maximum of 16 hours per week during your study or full-time for seasonal employment for a maximum of three months.

Check out our Pathfinder tool for further information.