Terms of enrolment
There are certain terms and conditions attached to enrolment as a student at The Hague University of Applied Sciences (THUAS). At this page, you'll find the most important terms of enrolment.
Note: no rights can be derived from this page and its content. Rights can only be derived from the Wet op het Hoger onderwijs en Wetenschappelijk onderzoek (WHW) (Law on Higher Education and Scientific research, only available in Dutch) and the Students' Charter 2016-2017 (Regulations on Enrolment and Disenrolment).
- In order to be enrolled, a student must have submitted a request for enrolment via Studielink. This request has to be submitted no later than 1 May preceding the academic year (for the Dutch programmes 'HBO-V', 'Huidtherapie', 'Voeding en Diëtetiek' and 'HALO'(Opleiding tot leraar lichamelijke opvoeding): no later than 15 March. This is the procedure for 2016-2017. The new one for 2017-2018 will be published on the website 30 September 2016 the latest). Go to ' apply before 1 May' for more information. For students with an application for a full time study programme with a prior education in the Netherlands it is manditory to do the Study Choice Check. If a student has not timely met these requirements, his/her application will be rejected.
- In addition, the student’s identity and eligibility must have been confirmed. If additional requirements apply to the educational programme, such as a an assessment, a draw (numerus fixus), or a job requirement, these have to be met. Non-Dutch students must prove that they reside legitimately in the Netherlands. Students who did not complete their prior education in the Netherlands must meet the language criteria. Furthermore, tuition fees must be paid.
- If a student does not meet all of the enrolment criteria on 1 September, enrolment may be denied.
- Enrolments starting on another date than 1 September will only be allowed after written consent by the faculty director.
- A student must prove that he/she meets the admission criteria of the educational programme. These may be found on the programmes website. One of these criteria is the validation of a prior education that gives access to the programme. This may be done by verification in Studielink, or by handing in a certified copy of the diploma and the grade list.
- If a student does not meet the admission criteria, he/she may on certain conditions partake in an admissions test, and will be admitted after passing this test.
- A student who did not complete his/her prior education in the Netherlands must prove his/her language proficiency by means of a language test.
- For Dutch programmes 'HBO-V' (voltijd en deeltijd), 'Huidtherapie', 'Voeding en Diëtetiek' and 'HALO' (Opleiding tot leraar lichamelijke opvoeding) programme, a decentralised selection applies. A student must partake in the selection moments and must then be selected by DUO in order to be enrolled. This is the procedure for 2016-2017. The new one for 2017-2018 will be published on the website 30 September 2016 the latest
- The programme management is responsible for assessing the other admission criteria (assessments and job requirements).
Identity and residence status
- Every student’s identity must be verified. When logging on to Studielink with DigiD, the identity of students residing in the Netherlands will be verified automatically. If verification fails, the student must hand in a copy of his/her passport, European identity card, or residence permit.
- Every student who does not hold EU/EEA nationality must prove that he/she resides legitimately in the Netherlands during the entire first month of his/her enrolment. In order to prove this, a copy of a valid Dutch residence permit must be handed in.
Tuition fee payment
- Tuition fee payment takes place by means of a digital payment authorisation (in one or more instalments) in Studielink. If the student’s employer will pay the tuition fees, the Garantieverklaring form may be used. If the student does not have a Dutch bank account, the Confirmation Form may be used, in which case the entire tuition fee has to be credited at the bank account of THUAS before the start of the academic year.
- Upon the authorisation of tuition fee payment, the student and the account holder agree to the following terms and conditions:
- The Stg. HBO Haaglanden, The Hague, is granted authorisation to withdraw the tuition fees for the academic year concerned.
- Insofar the student and the account holder are not the same person, the student authorises payment of the tuition fees by the account holder.
- The account holder and the student (and/or parent/guardian) are both jointly and severally liable for full and timely payment.
- The authorisation cannot be prematurely revoked.
- The account holder will ensure that the account balance is sufficient to cover the tuition fee payment on the tuition fee payment dates.
- Should the student fail to qualify for the statutory rate, the increased statutory rate (for long-term students) or the institutional tuition fee will be debited. Click here for detailed information on the tuition fee rates.
- How much in tuition fees the student will have to pay is based on the information known at THUAS. In case of relevant changes in this information, the tuition fees will be adjusted accordingly.
- All terms and conditions regarding collection of tuition fees that can be found on our website.
- If the student and/or the account holder are in arrears of payment, even after having received a reminder, the enrolment will be terminated. The student will then no longer have the right to attend classes and to sit exams. The amount due will then be collected by a bailiff. The associated additional costs and charges will have to be paid by the student.
- A student must re-enrol in his/her programme every academic year. This must take place via Studielink before 1 September. After 1 September, the student loses his/her right to re-enrolment.
- Upon re-enrolment, a new payment confirmation must be submitted.
- If a student has received a binding negative study advice, re-enrolment is not possible.
- If a student changes his/her study programme, this enrolment is subject to the same deadlines and criteria as a new application.
- Please note: if you are not yet fully enrolled, halfway September, your IT account for The Hague University of Applied Sciences will be blocked. You will then no longer be able to make use of the IT facilities of The Hague University of Applied Sciences. Students will be informed by e-mail if there enrolment is not fully completed.
- A student is enrolled until the end of the academic year on 31 August.
- An enrolment may be terminated before the end of the academic year in cases such as a mid-year binding negative study advice, arrears of payment, or on the student’s request.
- After graduation, a student’s enrolment will not be automatically terminated. The student will be enrolled until 31 August, unless the student requests for early disenrolment.
- A student may apply for disenrolment via Studielink. Disenrolment will take place at the earliest as of the first day of the month following the disenolment request.
- A student may indicate that he/she wishes to be disenrolled as of a later date. Retroactive disenrolment is not possible.
- If a student terminates his/her enrolment as of 1 July or 1 August, he/she is not entitled to a refund of tuition fees.
Contacting the Enrolment Centre
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact the Enrolment Centre.