Traditional marketing has been facing criticism, from its stimulation of overconsumption, to its role in greenwashing and unfair dominance of few companies, to its BigData ethics. Recent trend studies show that a growing number of consumers are more loyal and employees are more engaged to purpose-driven brands and companies. The research group Purposeful Marketing is set to leverage these opportunities and address these challenges to serve purposeful businesses and organisations.
3 different strategic marketing areas
Our research will build and share knowledge in 3 different strategic marketing areas:
More and more customers, audiences, marketers and a wider group of stakeholders are embracing changing values.
- New customer insights – What are the emerging needs and wants from customers related to being purposeful?
- New employee insights – How can an organisation successfully leverage one’s employees to drive purposeful marketing?
- Target market motivations – How does purposeful marketing drive buyer behaviour for target markets?
- Social marketing – How to use purposeful marketing to support critical societal change?
Value and Experience CreationThe propositions created will benefit the long-term common good, rather than short-term individual needs. They can provide better experiences for the customers and audiences which ultimately leads to greater success in the long term for a broader range of stakeholders.
- Customer experience – How is it evolving and how does purposeful marketing help deliver the optimal customer experience?
- Customer Journey – How to incorporate purposeful marketing into the key touchpoints within the customer journey?
Marketing StrategyMarketing elements enabled by digital technologies serve the long-term objective of improving lives as a whole.
- Digital technology – How to leverage it for purposeful marketing?
- Marketing mix decisions – How to align the marketing mix decisions within the context of purposeful marketing?
- Financing – How to leverage purposeful marketing to obtain financing for the success of purposeful businesses?
- Communication – How does it impact purposeful marketing results?
- Branding – What are the implications of purposeful marketing on brand strategy?
The guiding principles for the research group
- Include both business and social marketing, thus providing an inclusive platform/community for meaningful interaction and learning;
- Integrate research with real-life businesses and university programmes, thus fostering collaboration for maximum impact on our education and society;
- Connect organisation’s purpose with delivering the best experience for customers, in order to create a win-win for all stakeholders;
- Focus on people and continuous learning, which will contribute to meaningful growth of people and our society at large.
This Research Group was started on 1 September 2021. In the coming months, the research team and projects will be set up.