Borrowing, renewing, reserving
Library cards for students and staff
Students can borrow materials with a valid student ID card. Staff members can use a library card which is available at no cost by completing an application form.
Library cards for alumni
The Hague University of Applied Sciences will waive the costs (€ 15/year) for a library card for alumni for the first year. In addition to borrowing library materials, alumni can also make use of part of the digital collection.
Library cards for external users
External users may borrow items if they have a library card which costs € 15 (payable by bank card). To apply for a library card, we will need two forms of identification, one giving proof of identity and one giving proof of address (e.g. a recent bank statement). External users cannot make use of the digital library.
When borrowing library materials from any of the library locations, certain rules apply:
- A user can borrow no more than ten items, up to seven of which may belong to a single category (e.g. textbooks, CD-ROMs, DVDs).
- The lending period is three weeks. You can renew a book if it has not been reserved.
- Overdue charges for items returned after the return date are € 0.20 per item per workday. To pay this fine, you can use a Campus Card or bank card.
- You can use the self-service facility for borrowing and returning materials.
The lending period is three weeks. An item can be renewed up to six times unless someone else has reserved that resource.
Renewing can be done:
- Online in the catalogue by going to the borrower’s information page.
- By telephone by calling +31 (0)70 445 78 82.
- By using the self-service facility in the library itself.
Items can only be reserved if:
- all copies of the item are on loan to others at the time of requesting a reservation.
- the item may be borrowed (this is indicated in the library catalogue).
- it's an item kept at the central library or the Laan van Poot branch location.
- It should also be noted that borrowers cannot renew an item that someone else has reserved.
Important: We cannot guarantee that the material will be available by its return date since this depends on the person who borrowed it.
The following rules apply to reserving materials in the library’s collection:
- You can reserve up to 7 items at a time.
- For each reservation, you will have to pay a reservation charge of € 0.50 in advance (by Campus Card or bank card) at the library’s helpdesk.
- You will be notified by email as soon as one or more of your requests have arrived. You are expected to come and collect them in person and present your ID at the library reception desk at the Study Plaza within eight days.
- If you fail to collect your reservations within this time, they will be returned to the library and you will lose your reservation charges.
- If you are unable to collect your materials within eight days, you can request an extension by calling +31 (0)70 445 7882.
Purchase order request
If you are looking for a title not included in the library’s own collection, you can make a purchase order request for a new publication.