Support from a student counsellor

What kind of help does a student counsellor offer?

The student counsellor can provide advice on:

  • Academic progress
  • Disability and chronic illnesses
  • Financial and other arrangements for student (single or married) parents
  • Illness and family circumstances
  • Legislation and regulations
  • Personal problems
  • Student facilities
  • Study grants and the student loan system

Confidential meeting

All conversations with the student counsellor are confidential. The position of student counsellor is a position of trust and involves a confidentiality obligation. This means that no information will be provided to others without your explicit consent and knowledge.

Who is my student counsellor?

The student counsellors at The Hague University of Applied Sciences are divided among the various degree programmes. Want to find out who the student counsellor for your degree programme is? Download an overview of student counsellors here. Contact details are also provided.  

The student psychologist

The student psychologists of The Hague University of Applied Sciences offer several training courses on topics that are related to issues you might experience during your studies, such as how to deal with exam stress. They also offer individual consultations to discuss and help you tackle your problems. You can discuss anything, and whatever you choose to discuss is confidential.

What sort of issues can you see the student psychologist about?

With all sorts of problems. Be it study related problems such as fear failure in your studies or procrastination. But also with problems of a more personal nature. For example: you feel down, homesick or you experience difficulty with making social connections.


If necessary, the student counsellor can refer you to a student psychologist. If you would like more information on the services of the student psychologists, please contact the administration office: